The Commune Social 食社, Shanghai 2013



I just lost everything that I wrote using blogger app... damn.
Let me remember what I have written in the last 30 minutes and write again.
Yes. It was about Shanghai.
I have been to Shanghai for couples of time for market visits. It is actually a routine trip that most of the time we would go to some areas like Julu Lu, Nanjing Lu, IFC, Grand Gateway, etc. to finish our work assignment. After a long day of store check in a not-so-good weather condition in shanghai, basically a fancy restaurant is a highlight of the day. Authentic Shanghai cuisine is always ideal for everybody.

Thank you for the full booking of Old Jishi 老吉士. My friend, who just moved to shanghai for half a year,  suggested to go to a tapas bar. At the beginning, I was thinking,  'NO WAY, I'm in Shanghai for just a few days and I gotta have some shanghai food before I leave.', of course, just in my mind. 

I like Spanish Food but I am not a fan of Tapas. What I understand about tapas is, it is a toast with something on top, usually treated as snacks with drink, technically it is not a proper meal. I admit that I have a big stomach.

Fortunately, I did not insist to go any other  Shanghai restaurant. I felt glad that my friend brought me to this lovely place called the Commune Social 食社.

It is not difficult to spot this restaurant, situated in Jian An district, just right next to a modern designer furniture shop, all you need is to hire a taxi driver who knows the way.
No kidding that it is not a norm that all taxi driver knows the way in SH. I would feel lucky if I hop on one without asking me how to get to my destination.

Luckily, we were a bit early before it opened for dinner time.
No reservation sometimes is a good thing to early birds.
Open area was closed due to winter season. It was a bit chilly in Oct but the bar area is warm and cozy. I love the rustic industrial interior with the dim light, perfect atmosphere to gather with friends and of course fantastic for couples.


Dishes were tiny, as expected, but the fusion way of tapas with nicely decorated fresh and colorful ingredient makes it like an art piece.
Sangria is nice and just 28 RMB.
We tried a few dishes, but still could not fill my stomach full.


cant remember the name, but it is soup with fresh shrimp

lovely colors- salmon and mushroom

Whipped salt cod, paella jelly, caviar, chicken skin
After we finished tapas, we moved to dessert bar to see how the chef Kim Lyle 'created' our desserts.
Dessert Bar and Kim's Assistant

The best dessert ever
Peanut ice cream, red fruit, salted peanut caramel
 This meringue was too sweet for me, I did not like the taste of cucumber sorbet, it would be better if it is replaced with lychee.
Crispy lemon meringue, cucumber sorbet, gin jelly

Ground floor was packed with people but Bar area on the second floor was empty.

Definitely in my list next time.
More about the restaurant here 

Popular Posts