LATTE ART CLASS @COFFEE ACADEMIC STUDIO, HONG KONG

It is always interesting to learn something new.

I am not a big fans of coffee.
I do not have a habit of drinking coffee every morning like most of the people do.
Unfortunately I am not quite tolerant of caffeine. If the cup is too strong, I could feel my heart beats too fast or nausea the whole day.What I like to drink is mostly Caramel Macchiato or Rose Latte, especially on the day that I have serious running nose or as a remedy of getting a cold. Of course, it also count that the day that I feel extremely sleepy at work.

I always admire being a barista. I think it is quite cool to work in a nicely decorated cafe.
Maybe some day I will open a cafe combining an idea of selling art and making coffee.

Drinking coffee is not purely for keeping you awake but also a lifestyle nowadays. The choice of coffee beans, methods of brewing, latte art, anything about coffee becomes more popular around the world.


Made by Happy Li


Drinking coffee is a KNOWLEDGE.

It was a great experience to join the latte art class @ The Coffee Academic Studio in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.

Just a few days ago, I was still planning to join the Perfect Brew class. But my boyfriend suggested me to join the Latte Art one because it seems like more interesting.
He is right.
So I decided to join the latte class in last minute.

Actually I could not find any latest class schedule on their website so I emailed them to ask about the schedule in Oct a few weeks ago.

As I have a few days off so joining a class on 1 Oct is a good start of holiday.


The Class started at 2pm but I arrived a bit early.

The entrance of the place is not quite obvious and I had to ring the bell to get the door open.

It was Happy who greeted me when I arrived. It was a misconception for me that Happy is a lady when I checked with the class schedule via email.

Actually Happy is the class instructor and he teaches most of the classes in the studio.

The place is a bit like the cafe with one side is the office space.




The shell placed with many different utensils for brewing coffee.



The above corner space is the place we had the class.

It was lucky that only 3 ppl in a class (there were 2 ppl absent) and that means we had more chances to practise!

I am always curious on how to use the espresso machine and this time I had chance to learn how to use it.
One step forward to become a barista!

Happy told us that Arabian coffee beans is the common one to use in most of the coffee shops as it has less caffeine which is more suitable for people who are intolerant of it.

A good latte = a perfect mix of espresso and steamed milk.

20 gram of grinded coffee beans
25 seconds of filtering
60°C of milk
Skillful Pouring


He had demonstrated two perfect cup of latte and we had a chance to drink the one he made.
What I observed is that it is not easy to make a perfect mix of latte with the heart shaped steamed milk on top.
It consists of lots of skills, time and passion on it.

Happy instructed us from grinding the coffee bean, the steps of using the espresso machine and steaming the milk. And finally how to do free pouring and etching.

The easiest shape is the heart shape but I failed to make it perfectly with my clumsiness.



Does it look like a peach?
If the espresso and milk are not mixing evenly, it would affect every sip of the drink.

We were lucky to see more of Happy's demonstration as the company owner of The Coffee Academic
came for a visit.
He had to make 3 more cups for them.



Tulip and swan are also quite popular to see on latte. and Happy made them perfectly.

We also learnt how to use the foam & the thermometer to create additional art on it.

Finally I had some improvement. but the bear looked quite distressed.




Originally the class ends at 3:30 but we finished at almost 4. We got a voucher of a free coffee after the class.

Happy is a very experienced barista and also a great instructor too!

It was an interesting class and I think all the coffee fans would love it!


Latte Art Class @The Coffee Academic Studio
More Info HERE

Popular Posts